Frequently Asked Questions

Time of Booking Answers

How much of deposit do I need to pay to secure my booking?

Our standard deposit is €190.00/ £190.00 per person. However if we can get you a special flight/ sale fare/instant purchase offer you we may need you to pay for that portion in full at the time of booking. Bookings made within 10 weeks of departure must be paid in full.

Back to Top

What are my passport requirements for travelling to the USA, Canada, Mexico and Cruising?

You must hold a “Machine Readable Passports” (MRP):

Irish/ UK citizens transiting through or entering the United States of American require an individual Machine readable passport, this includes Children and infants.   If any person who is a citizen of a VWP (i.e. Irish/ UK citizen holder of passports) and do not have a MRP, then they will need to obtain a U.S. non-immigrant visa prior to departure.

The United States has an agreement with Ireland and the UK that allows you to enter on a current Irish/British passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish/British passport need only be valid for the duration of the holders stay in the United States.

For all other passengers traveling outside of the United States and Cruising, it is strongly recommend that your passport is valid for at least 6 months after your expected return date.

Back to Top

What is an ESTA?

Electronic System for Travel Authorisation. 

International travelers who are seeking to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) for under 90 days are now subject to enhanced security requirements and will be required to pay an administrative fee. All eligible travelers who wish to travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization and then pay the fee at the following website address up to 72 hours prior to travel: 

Please click here to access and complete your ESTA form.

Please click here for full information on ESTA.

Back to Top

What is an Eta (For travelling to Canada)

Electronic Travel Authorization.

Canada has introduced a new entry requirement for visa exempt foreign nationals who fly to Canada. This regulation becomes mandatory from 15 March 2016. This requirement is applicable to all Irish and British passport holders entering Canada by Air. Applying for an Eta is a simple process and takes fjust a few minutes. You will need your passport a credit card (Via or Mastercard), and an email address. The cost is $7 Canadian Dollars. It will be valid for up to 5 years.

For more information please click the following link

To apply for an Eta please click the following link

Back to Top

What is Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD)?

Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD) is a requirement to enter the US, Canada and Caribbean and must be advised at time of booking or immediately afterwards. We require your date of birth and your name as it appears on your passport including middle name or initial if applicable. 

Note:(Failure to provide us with this information may incur a fine or passengers could be refused entry to the US. The airline may also reserve the right to cancel any reservations without these details)

Back to Top

Do I need Travel Insurance?

All clients travelling on a package holiday must have travel insurance. We recommend purchasing you policy at the time of booking. Alternatively we require you to provide details if you have an existing policy. We recommend you read a sample policy before purchasing it as various restrictions, such as age can apply. 

Back to Top

Do Age Restrictions apply to my holiday?

Yes age restrictions can apply to some aspects of your holiday. 

Carhire:  If you are hiring a car, to avoid an additional charge the primary renter of the vehicle must be at least 25 years of age; however the minimum age to rent a vehicle is 21. People under 25 years of age will incur additional daily charges.

Hotels: Most hotels, particularly in Las Vegas and Orlando require one of the occupants to be over 21 years.  

Insurance: Insurance policies do contain various age restrictions.  We recommend you make specific enquiries in this regard before purchasing it.

Cruising: Cruising companies can have minimum child age restrictions. These age restrictions can apply to particular cruises where infants must be of a certain age to travel on a cruise. Minimum age restrictions also apply where families are sharing multiple cabins as children cannot be left unattended.

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise. However for transatlantic, transpacific, Hawaii, select South American and other selected cruises the infant must be at least 12 months old as of the first day of the cruise. For voyages that have 3 or more consecutive days at sea, the infant must be at least 12 months old at time of sailing. Guests travelling with a young infant that does not meet the infant policy will be denied boarding. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from the cruise line to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or other accompanying guests.

Note on child ages: A minor is defined as an individual less than 18 years of age at the time of embarkation. A young adult is defined as an individual between the ages of 18 and 20. A cruise passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation.

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Consent & Release Form  that authorises the minor's travel and further authorises medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to the Cruise Line representative at the pier during check-in.  Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

Note:Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to the Cruise Line representative at the pier before embarkation.

Back to Top

When will I receive my travel documents?

Your documents will be emailed to the address in your booking between 14 and 21 days prior to your departure date. If you booked through a Travel Agent your package will be emailed to your travel agent to forward to you personally.  If you wish to collect documents or require a hard copy please email with your request.

It may be necessary in some instances to send documents by post, if this is the case they will be sent 14-21 days prior to travel.

Please note with most cruise companies, luggage labels for the cruise need to be picked up at the pier prior to embarkation.

Note: We endeavor to have your holiday tickets and itinerary to you a minimum of 14 days prior to departure. During peak season however, some delays may be inevitable due to the large volume of bookings which have to be processed.

Back to Top

What are my payment options?

You may pay by card, cash, cheque, bank draft in our offices in Dublin and Belfast. 

You may also call our accounts department on 01 4331050 (ROI) or 02890511800 (NI) to pay by card over the phone. Please be aware that credit card fees may apply. 

You can do a bank transfer please call the above number or e-mail for details

If you are paying by cheque please make it payable to American Holidays with your booking number written on the back. We must receive this no later than 7 days before your balance is due

Back to Top