Travel Advice

At American Holidays, the wellbeing and safety of our customers is our highest priority and while the world changes daily we aim to keep all our customers up to date with accurate travel information.

We base our responses on advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), supplemented with information from World Health Organisation (WHO), the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), as well as local knowledge from our robust team of Ground Operators.

The DFA and FCDO offer information on travel to all countries throughout the world, including personal safety, local laws and customs, important entry requirements and visa information as well as updates on natural disasters, political situations, public health alerts and what to do if something does go wrong.

Before you depart
• Check you have all your valid documentation; passports, entry visas and booking documentation.
• We strongly advise you have appropriate travel insurance in place before travelling.
• Read up local laws and customs of the country you are visiting and understand how they differ from home, especially if you plan on driving while on holiday.
• Research vaccinations or any other medical requirements for your destination, and if necessary, visit a travel health clinic before you travel.
• Act responsibly and be responsible for yourself when abroad.
• Tell your family or friends about your travel plans so they know where you are going and when. Ensure they have your contact details, you have theirs and stay in touch. Save the contact details of the local Consulate to your phone/devices in case of emergencies.

For the latest official local government travel advice visit
• FCDO –

Travel and Covid 19

The long awaited news on where we can start travelling to again has been updated. As our favourite destinations begin welcoming back visitors we’ve gathered all the safe travel requirements you’ll need to know for your arrival and return.

As the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic continues to have an affect on travel, especially regarding safety while overseas and entry requirements we continue to closely monitor the situation and we will keep this page updated to give you the latest information.

We have introduced a number of ways to give you added flexibility, protection and peace of mind so you can book and travel with confidence with us. Click here for more information on our Book With Confidence Promise

If your holiday with us is affected by travel restrictions we will contact you to offer advice, the latest information and options available to move, change or cancel your booking.

If you are on holiday and government advice changes we will contact you with the latest information.

If you or one of your party is unable to travel due to Covid-19 please contact us. You may need to delay your travel if symptoms develop or a pre-departure test result is positive until they have recovered from COVID-19.

Rest assured, your Personal Travel Planner will call you around 14 days before your holiday to discuss the most up to date requirements specific to your holiday destination. In addition, this information will be clearly highlighted on your departure documents stating the time in which a test may/must be conducted before you travel and any requirements for children as well as adults.

Travel to the USA

In addition to ESTA and visas requirements, all airline passengers to the United States must have the following documentation.
• Passengers aged 18+ must be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to travel. You must complete a PCR or professional Antigen Test (with certificate) the day prior to travelling to the USA. This is a requirement for all guests age 2 and over regardless of their vaccination status. Your test must be completed either in clinic or via a video call. Please ensure your testing certificate contains your full name, date of birth and passport number.
• Unvaccinated children aged 2-17 can travel with a PCR or Antigen Test completed one day prior to travel.
• Passengers must complete an Attestation Form prior to departure. This will be issued by the airline at the airport at check-in
• Infants age 0-2 can travel test free.

What information must be included on the PCR test result?
A test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy). The documentation must include:
• Type of test (PCR or antigen test)
• Entity issuing the result
• Specimen collection date. A negative test result must show the specimen was collected within the 3 days before the flight. A positive test result for documentation of recovery from COVID-19 must show the specimen was collected within the 3 months before the flight.
• Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
• Test Result

Returning to Ireland from North America
Returning to the Republic of Ireland from North America
You must complete the Republic of Ireland Passenger Locator Form. One form should be completed by each adult age 18 and above. Children under 18 can be added on to any accompany adults form.
If you are travelling with a child between the ages of 12 and 17 who is not fully vaccinated they must have a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival unless they have valid proof of recovery.
Children aged 11 and under do not need a RT-PCR test to travel to the Republic of Ireland.
For passengers travelling on to Northern Ireland, please read on below for further requirements.

Returning to Northern Ireland/United Kingdom from North America

Fully Vaccinated Passengers Over 18 and Children aged 5-17 (regardless of vaccination status)
•Arrivals from 4am on 07/01/22 no longer need to take a PCR or Antigen test in resort prior to departure but you must complete a Day 2 PCR test on your return. The lateral flow / rapid antigens will not be permitted. You do not need to self isolate while awaiting your test results.
•Arrivals from 4am 09/01/22 no longer need to take a PCR or Antigen test in resort prior to departure and must then complete a Day 2 lateral flow test on your return. You do not need to self isolate while awaiting your test results.

Unvaccinated Arrivals Over 18
•All unvaccinated passengers over the age of 18 arriving into Northern Ireland or United Kingdom must have a PCR or Antigen test taken in resort within the 48 hours prior to arrival – this test must come with a results certificate.
•On arrival you must take a Day 2 & Day 8 PCR and self isolate whilst awaiting the results.
•Test to Release will still be available with the use of a Day 5 PCR.

The above applies to passengers who return to Dublin airport but then travel to Northern Ireland.

Travel to Canada/Mexico/The Caribbean

If you are travelling to any of the above destinations, please contact your travel planner who will update you on the relevant requirements.

Covid-19 PCR Testing

COVID-19 testing is becoming a norm in the world of travel with many destinations requiring a negative PCR tests and vaccine status confirmed pre travel for entry for unvaccinated travellers.

Whoever you chose to provide your required tests, please ensure you verify with your chosen supplier (whether the below or otherwise) the test will satisfy the requirements for the destination you are travelling to and that the supplier can comply with strict timescales you may have to adhere to. American Holidays cannot be held responsible for any third party suppliers’ delay or otherwise failure to provide a suitable test result.

Pre-departure testing is available at Dublin Airport, Shannon Airport and Cork Airport.

We recommend you sign up to the latest travel alerts relevant to the destination you are travelling to your holiday for updates. For more information on the destination you are travelling you can talk to our Trusted Advisors or visit

If you have a booking and want to get in touch please call Dublin 01 673 3800 or Belfast 028 90 511800. Lines are open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9.15am to 6pm and Wednesday and Saturday from 10am to 6 pm.