Nowhere is Louisiana's wildlife more abundant than in the swamps and bayous of New Orleans. After crossing the Mississippi River, take a boat ride through these swamps and bayous and be on the lookout for alligators, raccoons, snakes, turtles, and native birds. Hear stories from your guide about local Cajun culture and the mysteries of the swamps and bayous.
After a short coach ride across the Mississippi River, embark on a fascinating 2-hour boat trip through the swamps and bayous of New Orleans. Watch the beauty of Southern Louisiana unfold as you travel through the bayous and swamps in a custom built, all-weather boat.
Your guide will reveal the mysteries of this iconic Louisiana terrain as you observe the nesting grounds of native wildlife. Discover how the seafood from the bountiful waters provides a wide assortment of delectable local dishes. Observe the nesting grounds of alligators, egrets, raccoons, nutria, and many species of snakes. Some wildlife are more numerous during the warmer months of the year.
Along the way, learn all about Cajun culture and ingenuity — hear how Cajun people turned soup into gumbo, a famous Louisiana dish; the washboard into a musical instrument; and, of course, the swamps into a natural paradise. Your guide will also explain how these lush, untamed swamps and bayous are slowly disappearing. Learn about the efforts made to preserve and restore Louisiana's vanishing wetlands for future generations to enjoy. You'll return from the bayous for a coach ride to the French Quarter in New Orleans.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Conditions of Sale:
- In order to help preserve the French Quarter from vehicular traffic, it is requested that you please walk, if possible, to the convenient tour departure point - just a short stroll from most downtown hotels
- Tour vehicles are equipped for wheelchair storage. If wheelchairs collapse and fold, they can be placed in the storage compartment on the bus
- Electrical wheelchairs are permitted, but special arrangements need to be made with the supplier for a handicap-accessible bus. This must be arranged 72 hours prior to tour date. Contact details will be on your voucher.
- Unfortunately, electrical scooters are not permitted
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat
Once you have booked and received your travel voucher, the contact details for the travel service operator will be on this voucher under the heading 'Important Information'. Where applicable, you are required to call the travel service operator directly to advise of additional information such as:
- Hotel for pick up
- Weights for helicopter tours
- Choice of times for tours
- Special dietary requirements, meal choices etc.