While you're in port in beautiful Maui, get out and explore the natural features that make it so stunning on the Haleakala Crater shore excursion. Learn about black coral, Hawaii's state gem, at the Maui Coral Factory. Then make your way up to the majestic summit of the Haleakala Crater, renowned for its amazing sunrises and scenic vistas. The visually expansive views will leave you breathless.
Your Maui shore excursion starts when you are picked up from your cruise ship port. First, you'll head to the Maui Coral Factory to see how black coral is transformed from its raw form into beautiful jewelry.
Discover the small town of Makawao, home to the paniolo (Hawaiian cowboys) and a lively art community. Drive up to the protea farms of Kula to discover the unusual flowers that flourish in the Kula area of Maui. Continue ascending into upcountry Maui, where you'll see ranches, rare flora and fauna, and farms with lofty views.
You'll then reach Haleakala Crater, the "House of the Sun." The dormant volcano last released its fury in 1790. More than 200 years later, the land surrounding the lava flow is still barren. The summit rises 10,000 feet (3,000 meters) above sea level. The crater is 3,000 feet deep, 7.5 miles (12 km) long, 2.5 miles (4 km) wide and 22 miles (35 km) in circumference. From here, you'll enjoy expansive views over the island.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return back to the ship in Kahului Pier for this activity. If your ship is delayed and you are unable attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Conditions of Sale:
- This shore excursion can only be booked by Norwegian Cruise Line Pride of America passengers
- The weather at the summit of Haleakala is unpredictable. Temperatures commonly range between 40 degrees Fahrenheit and 65 degrees Fahrenheit, but can be below freezing at any time of year with the wind chill factor. Wear lightweight, layered clothing that will keep you warm even in wet weather, and sturdy, comfortable shoes.
- Persons with heart or respiratory problems and pregnant women should check with their doctor before coming to the Park, given the reduced oxygen at high elevation.
Once you have booked and received your travel voucher, the contact details for the travel service operator will be on this voucher under the heading 'Important Information'. Where applicable, you are required to call the travel service operator directly to advise of additional information such as:
- Hotel for pick up
- Weights for helicopter tours
- Choice of times for tours
- Special dietary requirements, meal choices etc.