A grand mélange presentation of Cajun and Creole cultures starting with a boat tour of the cypress swamps. Enjoy a traditional lunch at one of the oldest Plantations in the south, Oak Alley Plantation, followed by a guided tour of this grand mansion. Later in the afternoon visit Laura, a Creole Plantation and her historic slave quarters surrounded by sugar cane fields. The small-group atmosphere with maximum 13 people ensures a more personal experience.
You'll start your day driving out to Cajun Country, where you'll go through wild cypress swamps, over the Mississippi River on an impressive suspended bridge, and along vast sugarcane fields, as the guide tells a unique story of the odyssey of the Cajun people.
Next you'll take a narrated boat tour (about 1.5 hours) on winding bayous in remote cypress swamps. Your Cajun guide, also an alligator hunter and fur trapper, will share his knowledge of the swamp including reptile habits, healing plants and exotic birds. After this peaceful ride, explore his picturesque swamp zoo on Bayou Boeuf. A delicious lunch is included at Oak Alley Plantation's Cajun restaurant with a chance to experience traditional cuisine of this region.
After lunch be prepared for a pilgrimage back in time. From the River Road you will see and hear all about Whitney, Josephine, and Evergreen Plantations. A guided tour of Oak Alley Plantation to admire this jewel of Greek Revival architecture. Free time to walk under a spectacular canopy of 28 giant live oaks.
Next visit Laura, a Creole Plantation and her historic slave quarters surrounded by sugar cane fields. The guided tour transports you with dramatic detail into the charmed yet tragic lives of four generations of Creole owners and their slaves.
Upgrade to the High-Speed Airboat option, to experience a thrilling ride as you comfortably glide over marshes and into deep, secluded bayous.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Conditions of Sale:
- Service animals are permitted. Please advise at time of booking to arrange accommodations
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking in the special requirements field
- Tour operates in all weather conditions. Umbrellas are available for use if guests forget their own. If a tour cannot operate due to inclement weather you will be notified
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Due to the nature of the airboat, children under the age of 5, pregnant women, people with back or neck issues or recent surgeries are not allowed to participate in the airboat portion of the tour.
Once you have booked and received your travel voucher, the contact details for the travel service operator will be on this voucher under the heading 'Important Information'. Where applicable, you are required to call the travel service operator directly to advise of additional information such as:
- Hotel for pick up
- Weights for helicopter tours
- Choice of times for tours
- Special dietary requirements, meal choices etc.